25 February 2010

glory of the ordinary

Golly, it's a good day.

Today was that amazing special first day that I didn't wear a coat out. It was a beautiful early-spring-feeling day. Now I'm sitting at my desk, listening to John Mayer, watching the rain outside and smelling it through the open window. It's not a spitting misty rain like normal in Oxford, but a strong, cleansing rain. Tonight I get to work in the Ebbe's kitchen with some of my favorite people. Somewhere in there, I'll write an economics essay, but that's okay. I might even bake some banana bread for our breakfast-and-prayer tomorrow morning. Oh, and my house is clean and my laundry is clean and there are yellow tulips spreading sunshine in my living room.

Life is broken, but seriously, it is also beautiful.

And in this daily beauty, this constant provision, the joy of labor, the glory of the ordinary, I worship my God. For it is daily that I meet with him, see his face, receive his provision, and treasure the way that his beauty overflows into the things that he makes, even the smallest of things.


"You heavens above, rain down righteousness;
     let the clouds shower it down.
Let the earth open wide, let salvation spring up,
     let righteousness grow with it;
I, the Lord, have created it." Isaiah 45:8

No comments:

Post a Comment